Did you know that active students are healthier and happier than inactive students? Regular physical activity has been shown to improve mental health, reduce anxiety and stress, enhance cognitive functioning and boost academic performance. Despite these crucial benefits, roughly 40 to 50 percent of college students are physically inactive.
There are a number of factors that affect the exercise habits of college students, including increased homework and a lack of friends to exercise with. But one of the most interesting finds is that college students often have nowhere to work out, especially when the weather is cold.
CR Studio Design understands the value in having college students exercise – they’re happier, healthier and perform better in school. College and university campuses are finding, especially since the pandemic, that both the study body and staff can benefit from outdoor recreation spaces. Below we’ll cover the benefits of promoting physical activity on college campuses and some ideas to consider for your next design.
Importance of Outdoor Fitness for College Students
When college students are active, they enjoy better emotional and physical health, as well as a better quality of life. Consider that offering an outdoor fitness space on your college campus can:
- Boost academic performance by improving blood circulation, which affects the amount of oxygen reaching the brain. The more oxygen the brain has, the better it works.
- Promote healthy sleep, which also leads to better academic performance. Exercise makes students tired in time for bed.
- Strengthen the immune system by getting enough Vitamin D. Sick students miss class more often and have a harder time keeping up their grades.
- Decrease stress by releasing feel-good endorphins in the brain. These chemicals are also responsible for sleep.
- Encourage participation among peers. Students can walk, run and play sports together, strengthening community ties.
Outdoor Fitness Spaces for Colleges and Universities
An outdoor fitness space is the perfect solution for colleges and universities hoping to promote more activity on campus. These spaces can accommodate users of all skill levels and abilities so that everyone can participate – those who are in training or conditioning as well as those looking to burn calories and stay fit.
Need some inspiration? Virginia Tech created an outdoor fitness space that offers twenty training stations that can be used by multiple students at once. A custom trapeze trainer for advanced training was also included. Today, students, faculty and sports teams use the THRIVE 900 fitness system for training and conditioning, which has also freed up space indoors.
Build an Outdoor Gym for Your College Campus
THRIVE outdoor fitness structures are an excellent option for college campuses because of their small footprint, low cost of entry and wide range of exercise options. Shade integration is also possible to keep the space cool and comfortable throughout the seasons. To learn how to design an outdoor gym or fitness space for college or university campus, contact CR Studio Design today.